Made up of primarily Shinigami, and their Mod Soul creations, the Gotei 13 -or 13 Divisions of the Court Guard- are one of two governing bodies in Soul Society under the Soul King. Taking order from the Central 46, the Gotei is essentially the Military Police of Soul Society, as well as its governors in the absence of instruction from Central 46. Despite their role as both Army and Law Keepers, the Gotei 13 also fulfills a vital function for the Soul King: To control and maintain the Balance of Souls.
Maintaining the Balance of Souls entails two prime directives of all Shinigami sent to the World of the Living:
- To perform Konso on the Plus Souls of dead humans who have not passed on, sending them to Soul Society.
- To battle the Hollow who appear in the World of the Living, and purify their Souls by destroying their bodies with a Zanpaktou.
Performing these actions keeps the amount of Souls between the World of the Living and the two Spirit Realms even, preventing a dimensional collapse that could destroy the existence of all Souls entirely.
Laws of Soul SocietyEdit
- The primary duty of all Shinigami is to first maintain the Balance of Souls, and then see to the protection of innocent souls and humans.
- It is against the law for a Shinigami to give their spiritual power to Humans. Punishment may depend upon the circumstances.
- It is against the law for a Shinigami to use forbidden Kidou. Punishment may depend upon the circumstances.
- It is against the law for any citizen of Soul Society to create weapons of a dangerous nature not sanctioned by the feudal government. To do so is treason, and is punished by Death.
- It is against the law to attack a Captain without issuing a formal Challenge. To do so is treason, and is punished by Death.
- It is against the law to commit terrorist action(s) or attempt to overthrow the balance of Soul Society. To do so is treason, and is punished by Death.
- It is against the law to commit murder, whether the victim be a Shinigami, an innocent Soul, or a living Human.
- Exceptions are when an Execution has been ordered, or if lethal force was required to prevent the victim from endangering your own life, or the lives of others.
- It is a crime to steal from another citizen. Depending on what was stolen, the punishment ranges from Imprisonment, to Death.
- Causing riots, and similar violence within Rukongai is forbidden. Offenders will be imprisoned for up to 3 days. Repeat offenders will be detained for several months at most.
- It is forbidden for a Shinigami to acquire or attempt to gain Hollow-like Powers. Punishment is to be exiled from Soul Society, and to subsequently be treated as a Hollow.
- It is a crime for a Shinigami to remain in the Human World longer than a set amount of time. This is to prevent their Reiryoku from overtly affecting the souls of living Humans.
- It is against the law for the Gotei 13 to meddle in the affairs of the noble families unless the family in question breaks one of the laws of Soul Society beyond a shadow of a doubt.
- It is forbidden for a Shinigami to intervene in anything that is related to Hell.
A list of all 13 Divisions in the Gotei, accompanied by the description of their primary duties.
Division 1: CommandEdit
This Division is responsible for planning everything within Soul Society. The Captain of this Division is also the Captain Commander of the Gotei 13.
Division 2: Special ForcesEdit
Otherwise known as Onmitsukido, the 2nd Division is responsible for all specialized tasks within Soul Society, ranging from Assassination, to Messenger duties during wartime. They will also Assassinate high-profile targets outside Soul Society given the right situation.
Division 3: Inner DefenseEdit
This Division is responsible for the complete inner security and defense of every little thing inside of Siereitei. This can also be taken to mean they are the bodyguards for Nobles who live within.
Division 4: Relief and SupportEdit
This Division is the medical and support forces. Members of this Division specialize in healing and support Demon arts, and typically have Zanpaktou that reflect this nature.
Division 5: Outer DefenseEdit
This Division help secure and defend every thing out side of the Seireitei. From fortifying Rukongai to helping defend the World of the Living from Hollow incursions.
Division 6: Task ForcesEdit
This Division performs the same essential function as the 2nd Division, but outside of Soul Society. Responsible for capturing Rogue Shinigami who have left Soul Society, and dispatching external threats to Soul Society.
Division 7: EnforcermentEdit
This Division is responsible for enforcing the laws of Soul Society and dealing with Ryoka in Rukongai. Their job is to settle disputes amongst the citizens of Rukongai, as well as to arrest any lawbreakers.
Division 8: ReservesEdit
This Division supports the rest of the Divisions by loaning their members for various missions. As such, members of this Division had either had History in other Divisions, or simply have a wide variety of talents.
Division 9: Execution ForceEdit
A very grim Division, they deal with the Execution of fellow Shinigami who have broken the law and cannot be contained by the 6th Division. They also deal in the Execution of high-profile enemies who are difficult to Assassinate, or do not reside within Soul Society.
Division 10: InvestigationsEdit
This Division is responsible for investigating the causes of unknown events, as well as working with the 7th Division to determine the guilt or innocence of arrested individuals. They are also known to gather field data for the 12th Division so that the Database may be kept up to date concerning events and known individuals.
Division 11: Battle OperationsEdit
This Division is responsible for providing soliders for all major combat situations.
Division 12: Research & DevelopmentEdit
This Division is responsible for performing Research on all Spiritual Phenomena, and for Developing weapons and items for use by the other Divisions. They also monitor the Senkeimon and Dangai, and are responsible for maintaing the Gotei's computerized Database.
Division 13 ProtectorsEdit
Responsible for protecting the World of the Living from Hollow incursions. the 13th Division's primary duty is to patrol various towns in the Living Realm. They focus their efforts on known Spiritual Hotspots such as Karakura Town.
Not technically a part of the Gotei 13, Zero Division is the nickname for the Royal Guard which have been given special positions by the Soul King's Court. These positions are typically given to Shinigami Captains who have made a notable contribution to the Gotei 13, and includes many founding members of the Sonjotbatsu.
((Please Note any characters wishing to have a History with Zero Division must discuss the matter with the Staff member approving their character))
Division 1: Spirit Energy Concentration: They are masters of their own spirit energy levels.
Division 2: Lock Master - Can picks locks easily, as well as having keys to all divisions/buildings in the Gotei's control.
Division 3: Schematics - Know all the blueprints in Soul Society and Rukongai and how to destroy buildings from knowledge of how structures work.
Division 4: Chiyudou - Healing Magic
Division 5: Masters of Realm Walking - First to arrive to Events they are participating in.
Division 6: Silent Steps - They are masters of moving from place to place without being heard at all.
Division 7: Sundering Blow - They are able to disarm opponents with greater ease. As if they had 20 more Weapon Skill then they do.
Division 8: Reduced Skill cost amount by 1 Reiryoku
Division 9: Execution Resolve - With special permission members of this division can use special Assassination techniques, and Executions. (If Staff are forced to make a harsh call, 9th Division members may be granted permission to PvP a target)
Division 10: Intuition - Able to tell what a person is thinking of doing.
Division 11: True Warrior - Higher endurance and tolerance for pain than any other division or person. Takes 2 turns for the pain of an injury to catch up.
Division 13: Lore Master - can recognize any legend or hero on the spot and can tell if one is posing as them/ is fake.
All items (23)